With news coming out of Slovenia that the nation’s government has delayed a decision on whether to support the country’s bid to host the 2013 EuroBasket, FIBA Europe told heinnews on November 19 that it would not comment on the situation until after the Board’s meeting in early December.
The Slovenian state-run news agency STA reported on November 19 that Cabinet members discussed the issue on Thursday, but put off a decision as Prime Minister Borut Pahor sought more detailed financial figures.
The government is expected to pay governing body FIBA between 6.5 and 8 million euro for the hosting rights for the 2013 event . And Slovenia is struggling with the effects of a financial crisis and is currently looking to cut costs.
“It is now clear if the state covers the cost for FIBA Europe, the championship, which will bring extremely positive effects and at which Slovenia will be aiming for top spots, will be played on Slovenian soil,” Slovenian Basketball Association president Roman Volcic told public broadcaster RTV Slovenija.
In May 2010, FIBA Europe reported that Slovenia was one of six nations expressing interest of hosting the bi-ennial tournament along with Bosnia and
Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany and Italy. Italy and Slovenia were the only two countries to submit bids in September with Italy withdrawing their candidacy on October 15, leaving Slovenia as the sole bidder.
Germany and France announced earlier this week that they would combine to bid to host the EuroBasket 2015.
FIBA Europe executive committee will meet on December 5, 2010 in Munich to award the hosting rights for EuroBasket 2013. And the body said it would not comment on Slovenia’s current conflict.
“Unfortunately we are not in position to answer this question right now as this is something that can be determined only at the Board meeting in early December,” a FIBA Europe spokesman told heinnews.